Sunday, May 30, 2010

“It's hard to be nostalgic when you can't remember anything.”



My favourite 90s girl babes.

1. PJ Harvey - She was actually my second introduction to "angry girl rock (TM)" in my early teens (Alanis Morisette was first - I think it was worth a 2nd) which I did and still love. I still am fascinated with her image (from androgynous to feminine), her lyrics and the fact that she played a guitar that was as big as her. Not to mention she did a song with Nick Cave and a movie with Hal Hartley - whats not to love?

2. Liz Phair - First off let me just say that 'Exile in Guyville' is a near-perfect indie pop/rock record (while it really does not have much to do with 'Exile on Main Street') and though I can't really vibe with what Liz is up to these days - she is totally unfairly derided and sidelined for writing some absolute jams about blow jobs and one night stands. The women is a 90s legend (female or otherwise). Plus she also wrote some of my absolute fave break up songs.


3. Kathleen Hanna - She's still one of my absolute idols for too many reasons to list in full but here are some - (1)she was in three of my favourite bands/acts - Bikini Kill, Julie Ruin and Le Tigre, (2) she was one of the first riot grrrls (see above pic and/or read this) and (3) she currently writes a kick ass blog.

4. Kim Gordon - She of Sonic Youth fame needs little introduction or justification but here are some of my favourite things about her - fashion line, fashion sense, Gilmore Girls cameo and this song.



5. Fiona Apple - I love all her songs - seriously, I don't think there is one I don't like - this speaks to me as the hallmarks of a great self critic and editor, something rare and incredibly admirable. She also writes great lyrics, has incredible delivery and an amazing pop sensibility. Oh and she did a film clip with Zach Galifianakis and gave this speech - two things which make me love her all the more.


6. Chan Marshall/Cat Power - OK so it was late in the 90s when she began to break on through but she still counts and this early Cat Power is kinda when I like her best. When she was doing songs/videos like this and this - rather than this. Confession - I based my fashion choices and hair after her style in those first two videos for YEARS. Still love roller skates and yellow nail polish.


7. Courtney Love - Love her or hate her.

Peee Esss Just cause I feel like these two ladies need an honorary mention.

2 comments:

Brad N said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcKfsfEurY8

Samantha said...

oh i love this clip so amazing! she's such a genius