Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If ballet was easy then everyone would be doing it



I saw Coppélia at the Sydney Opera House way back in the late 1980s or early 1990s - it was my first ballet (I wore black patent leather mary janes bought especially for it) and I've had a serious soft spot for it ever since - and the ballet in general. In fact I still have the soundtrack my Grandmother bought for me after I became so obsessed with it. The soundtrack is beautiful too, and that ain't sentimentality talking neither.

My mother never let me learn ballet as a child either - though I was dying to - as she thought it would damage my feet or spine or something. There is no way someone as clumsy and uncoordinated as me would ever have been very good at ballet but goddamn i missed out on the cute shoes and tutu's didn't I?

This is a long preamble to the fact that I'm going to to see the Australian Ballet's remounting of the 1979 version of Coppélia tomorrow night and will be pulling out my frilliest ensemble and shiniest shoes for it. Someone else can bring the opera glasses!

No comments: