Wednesday, August 5, 2009

MIFF - 5 - in short reviews



Antichrist - Lars Von Trier

I don’t know how much effect any of the negative reviews or publicity has had or will have on Antichrist’s box office – if last night’s packed MIFF session was anything to go by it will only spur on the audiences curiosity and sales. Personally though I feel like it had a detrimental effect on my viewing of the film – since all I’ve heard about is one castrating scene, I spent the entire movie in a state of perpetual anxiety waiting for all hell to be broken loose on screen. Don’t let this happen to you – the gore doesn’t take place till the last 20 minutes and apart from the epic close up of Gainsbourg’s twat at the end its mostly just an observation of her descent in madness. It’s also beautifully shot and well acted – not that this matters much as most people will just go see it to find out what all the fuss is about.

No comments: