Thursday, August 13, 2009

Breakfast by Jacques Prévert

“He poured the coffee
Into the cup
He poured the milk
Into the cup of coffee
He added the sugar
To the coffee and milk
He stirred it
With a teaspoon
He drank the coffee
And put back the cup
Without speaking to me
He lit a cigarette
He blew some rings
With the smoke
He flicked the ashes
Into the ashtray
Without speaking to me
Without looking at me
He got up
He put his hat
On his head
He put on
His raincoat
Because it was raining
He went out
Into the rain
Without a word
Without looking at me
And I
I took my head
In my hands
And I wept”

— Breakfast by Jacques Prévert

I like how long and skinny this poem is - also that its called Breakfast and there's no food mentioned, which is kind of fitting if somebody you love is going to leave you - there really shouldn't be much on your mind except coffee, cigarettes and raincoats.

On a sidenote Prevert also wrote 'Les Enfants du paradis' - which I really need to see now more than ever.

No comments: