Monday, March 9, 2009

heavy wisdom with a light touch

When I get the blues, I google Woody Allen quotes - theres something about his cynical optimism or optimistic cynicism that makes me feel better about everything. I can't take anything too cheesy or naive or positive when I'm on a cliched-Sunday-mood-descent!

"It's like Vegas. You're up, you're down, but in the end the house always wins. Doesn't mean you didn't have fun." - Decosntructing Harry

I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable. - Annie Hall

To be happy is to love, to be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy, therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness — I hope you're getting this down. - Just plain old Allen

Doris: You have no values. Your whole life, it’s nihilism, it’s cynicism, it’s sarcasm, and orgasm.
Harry: Y’know, in France I could run on that slogan and win. - Deconstructing Harry

No comments: