Wednesday, November 26, 2008

2008 in books



I read a lot this year -more than last year and the year before - and I tried to read a lot more. It was a year of the library fight for me. Requested a lot of books - tried to find the time and inclination and concentration/focus to read a lot of books. Half finished a lot of books, sped-read a lot of overdue books and stayed up all night finishing books etc etc I can't remember all the books I read. I'm a compulsive list maker. Last year I made a list of all the films a saw each month - I saw a lot (RMIT Lib access plus interning at MIFF). This year I think I saw a lot, I think a read a lot, I definitely saw more theatre and dance. Probably listened to a lot less new music than I did in the 2005 and 2006. Anyway here for my own peace of OCD mind is an incomplete list of the books I read in 2008. I'll prob compile some other best of/all the best lists in the coming months - just to avoid that stack of overdue literary better myself tomes on my dresser - and hey its better than sitting on facebook pressing refresh every 5 seconds right? Right!




Yes its like the Infinite Jest all over again! You even get - if you care - my one word capsule reviews - occasionally abbreviated due to laziness to one letter. DF is didn't finish btw and RR is re-read it was probably overdue.

And no my hope/aim/only New Years resolution to read Hemingway, all the Russian authors, mountains of feminist and philosophical texts etc all came to very little. It is hard even in these times of terrible television to tear myself away from drinking, facebooking/blogging, movie watching and laundry to read something as momentous and self-improving as Dead Souls. It seems the best I could do was a few easy to read feminist tomes and some slight volume semi-classics - and a whole lot of other enjoyable trash.

No comments: