Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I was fooled by the way you take me seriously even when I'm joking


I don't know where you're from but here in Australia Sharon isn't really a name we associate with anything remotely awesome - unless you're really into irony. Sharon or Shazza as we like to refer to everyone of the aforementioned name is known only as badge of bogan suburban pride.

Anyway. Sharon van Etten has managed to successfully reclaim the name in my Aussie little mind. As lazy a comparison as it is she reminds me of old school lo-fi Cat Power and all the rest that goes along with her - Bonnie Prince, Smog, M Ward et al....She manages to hop-quick-jump over the yawn-fest-3-star pit that most girly singer-songwriters fall into and make something more beautiful and slightly more complex. Remember grower albums? AKA the musical land before before i-tunes/pods/phones. Oh and yeah she's from Bushwick but we're gonna pretend she's not.

PS Key tracks - um I totally have a new one everyday but Much More Than This is pretty amazing - so listen to that...a few times, but you should really buy the album (Because I Was in Love - on her website) because its one of those ones you'll probably keep and play a lot and stuff.
PPS Please know Sharon if you ever tour Australia we will refer to you affectionately as "Shazza" van Etten.

Also whats a post here without a youtube to match?

No comments: