Monday, February 23, 2009

“Cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world.”


I struggle with the smaller film festivals - mainly because its often harder to get my friends excited and involved unlike MIFF that seems to have a collective pull on my social circle. However last year I had the devastating experience of losing motivation due to lack of avails of my pals to see an incredible looking french musical called Les Chansons d'amour directed by Christophe Honoré and music by Alex Beaupain (whom I adore - he did the s/track to 'Dans Paris'!). It also starred Louis Garrel one of my favourite Mr Bungle type frenchies! Also Honore and Garrel have a cute Leaud and Truffaut connection happening which sometimes is brilliant e.g. 'Ma Mere' and sometimes falls flat a la 'Apres Lui', but I digress! I never was able to source the film at video stores or online except at great cost thus I'm determined for this year's French Film Festivities not to pass me by! Here are my picks for Melbourne 5 - 19 March.

* Actresses - starring to of my favourite Frenchies Louis Garrel and Mathieu Amalric also the description makes it sound like 'Opening Night' meets 'Stardust Memories'.

* Summer Hours - though I think Binoches last few film choices have been horrendous - Dan in the Real Life and Flight of the Red Balloon - I still enjoy watching her most of the time and I adore Oliver Assayas. Actually this reminds me to track down 'Boarding Gate' with Argento!

* It's Hard Being Loved By Jerks - Is there anything better than french docos about censorship? I think not!

* La vie moderne - Actually french documentaries about uncelebrated aspects of quirky french life are probably just that little bit better (think the Gleaners and I!)

* A Christmas Tale - I hate Christmas movies but everyone loves Its a Wonderful Life right? Sometimes things that are wrong in the right hands become, well RIGHT! Also starring the usual reliables (I mean that in the best possible way) Catherine Deneuve and Mathieu Amalric

Personally my feelings are that 5 films for a smaller film festival is more than adequate (as it is for most ACMI focuses) and in all likelihood over reaching - considering I can hardly ever make it through the second Cinematheque film! Sshhh don't tell!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totes seeing Actresses, Christmas Tale & Public Enemy #1. I basically can't resist Mathieu Almaric or Louis Garrel. Ooh la la them French boys (men?) make my heart skip a beat.